Missions games discussion thread #1

Discussion on Scenario Projects for Art of War
e_i_pi

Missions games discussion thread #1

Postby e_i_pi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:27 am

Hi all,

There's some interest in having a Scenario (or multiple Scenarios) where the purpose of the game is to complete a mission, rather than wipe out all opponents. The application is already set up to allow for this, it's just a matter of making the Scenario. Could everyone give some feedback on the items below?

Maps
What maps would you like to see this applied to? I think World Map or World Map (Tribes) would be a good starting point, especially the latter since there are so many zones, which would allow for a lot of different missions.

Eras
Would you like to see a Scenario made for Classic era (just armies) or Medieval Era (Infantry/Cavalry/Navy/Forts/Siege)?

Mission Visibility
Should the missions be visible to everyone, or should they be hidden from other teams? Perhaps they should only be hidden in Fog of War games, or maybe have it an additional option of whether they are hidden.

What sort of missions
What sort of missions do you want to see? I think capturing continents is a good starting point, though we can have a lot of variants to this. For example, on the World Map you could have something like "Capture and hold Australia for 5 turns and capture and hold Asia for 2 turns". We can also have capture on specific territories too. Really the sky's the limit here, any type of win condition you can think of, I can code in if it's not already there.

ultrasplot

Re: Missions games discussion thread #1

Postby ultrasplot » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:14 pm

I think it would be interesting if each Empire in Medieval Europe had its own counterpart it had to conquer to win. Preferably far across the map, like Iceland - Arabia... although inevitably some will be closer than others, but perhaps those should be the lesser-played and disadvantaged-by-starting-armies areas like say, Duchy of Brittany. Just unorganized thoughts right now but a Papal States that had to conquer the Levant would be fun :lol:

CatLord

Postby CatLord » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:54 am

Maps: I think it would be fun to see some win conditions for the world map

Eras: either

Mission Visibility: I like the idea of hidden missions in fog of war games. I think they should be visible for non fog of war games, but that's just me.

Missions:

*World Map:I like the idea of capturing one or two continents. Like Hold Australia for x turns, and North America for y turns.

If it's fog of war/hidden missions, having specific locations to capture and hold might be neat (I feel like it would be really hard to complete your mission if it's visible, but maybe that would work as well). For example: Hold Japan, Malaysia, and Brazil for x turns. It could be a place in each continent but at that point it still becomes take over the world/eliminate all opponents.

*Medieval Maps: I think that the idea of eliminating a specific location as ultrasplot suggested would be fun. If possible- eliminating an active player and not a neutral would be the most fun for that (so maybe force to even number players even with scaling? Or force the game creator to disable scaling if they choose this condition)

Ok, I gotta go, but I'll keep thinking of some ideas if I can. :D
The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.-Anon.

ultrasplot

Postby ultrasplot » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:24 am

I just got another idea for Medieval Europe.
Moors: Unite all lands under Moorish and Islamic control for three turns.
Islam: Unite all lands under Islamic and Moorish control for three turns.
(al-Andalus, Mauretania, Maghreb, Corsica et Sardinia, Southern Italy, Ifriqiya, Aegypt, Arabia, Mesopotamia, Levant)

Roman Catholic Church: Unite all lands under Roman Catholic and Byzantine control for three turns.
Byzantine Church: Unite all lands under Byzantine and Roman Catholic control for three turns.
(Holy Roman Empire, Domaine Royal, Aquitania, Burgundy, Northern Italy, Slavic Balkans, Hungary, Hellenic Balkans, Bulgaria, Anatolia)
^ This may well be the hardest with two monster-regions in Holy Roman Empire and Anatolia.

Vikings: Unite all lands under Viking and Celtic control for three turns.
Celtic Kingdoms: Unite all lands under Celtic and Viking control for three turns.
(Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Sapmi, Scotland, Ireland, England, Brittany, Asturias)
^ Probably the easiest, mostly small regions and edge-of-map regions.

Eastern Orthodox Church: Unite all lands under Eastern Orthodox and Turkic control for three turns.
Turkic Horse Tribes: Unite all lands under Turkic and Eastern Orthodox control for three turns.
(Poland, Kievan Rus, Livonia, Volga Bulgaria, Novgorod, Pontic Steppe, Kazakh Steppe, Hyrcania, Caucasia, Crimea)

Not exactly very balanced, but it could work if all factions are played.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:04 pm

ultrasplot wrote:I think it would be interesting if each Empire in Medieval Europe had its own counterpart it had to conquer to win. Preferably far across the map, like Iceland - Arabia... although inevitably some will be closer than others, but perhaps those should be the lesser-played and disadvantaged-by-starting-armies areas like say, Duchy of Brittany. Just unorganized thoughts right now but a Papal States that had to conquer the Levant would be fun :lol:

I'll be doing that last one as part of the First Crusade scenario for the Medieval Europe map. I'm still nutting out what the main factions will be, and what the win conditions will be for each faction. Obviously having Christendom vs Islam is the main theme, but it would be good to have Vikings and Russia in there as well, just gotta figure out what they need to do to win.

ultrasplot

Postby ultrasplot » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 pm

1st off you should probably increase the navies in Cilician Sea to about six to make the Christian objective more difficult. ;)
As for the factions, I would do:

Crusaders:
Byzantine Empire
Papal States
England
Domaine Royal
Holy Roman Empire

Islam:
Seljuk Empire
Almoravid Dynasty
Fatimid Hejaz
Abbasid Caliphate
Caliphate of Cordoba

Vikings:
Norway
Sweden
Saami

(Presumably a win condition involving capturing domains like Iceland, Scotland, Livonia... which does not impact result of the actual Crusade.)

Eastern Orthodox:
Volga Bulgaria
Novgorod
Kievan Rus

(Presumably a similar win condition to Vikings so essentially they are a sub-game within the main war)

Christian obj - Capture Northern Italy, Levant and hold for (five?) turns.
Muslim obj - Capture Northern Italy, Levant and hold for (five?) turns.
- I would also start both sides with some regions - Muslim Levant, Arabia and Christian Northern Italy, HRE - Wittelsbacher...

Of course, this is just a suggestion. I'll probably polish it up when I have some spare time.

ianutd

Postby ianutd » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:58 am

Missions sounds good, maybe hidden missions though.
Also factions would be good and a good idea if you started solo and could join a faction to help you achieve your mission.
Winning wars costs lives, Winning war games is more important

Return to “Scenarios”