Permanent bans issued

News from the site administrators
e_i_pi

Permanent bans issued

Postby e_i_pi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:47 pm

As much as it saddens me to lose two regular players, I have unfortunately had to ban both Koralon Empire and Khan for breaching the Terms of Use. I had found that they had been cheating by abusing the Extend Timer button to ensure that they started and finished every turn in various doubles games, giving themselves an unfair advantage against other players that was not in the spirit of fair play. They would start a turn, extend the timer, then wait until nobody was online before finishing their turn and allowing the other to continue playing immediately, giving them a distinct advantage when it came to breaking zone bonuses, eliminating players, and stacking recently captured territories.

The particular article in the Terms of Use that they have breached is:
Furthermore, any action or set of actions taken by a user or users with the intention to or that the administration deems is/was the intention to cheat or design or assist in cheating, or to utilise or manipulate elements of the services in a way that they were not intended and/or could be interpreted to be cheating, or to otherwise circumvent technological measures designed to control access to, or elements of, the services offered, or to do anything else that a reasonable person is likely to believe is not within the spirit of fair play or these terms, may result in an immediate and permanent ban.

Koralon Empire was already on his second warning for abusive language on a number of occasions, and Khan had skated close to warnings in the previous month. The cheating occurred not in a single game, but across a range of doubles games, including games 1679, 1711, 1743, 1744, and 1845. It was during game 1845 that I noticed the behaviour, as that was a game I was playing in, and I was surprised by the strongholds they could build up quickly. This, along with notification from another member of the site that they colluded to give themselves an advantage by abusing the Extend Timer button led me to investigate. There was more than ample evidence that this was not a coincidence, and that they carefully planned their use of extending the timer to ensure that they could finish the phase when no-one else was online or likely to come online, so that their teammate was able to take their turn immediately.

The intention of the Extend Timer button was to give players the opportunity to "drop everything" if an emergency came up in real life, or they needed to go have dinner, or some other event that could not be put off. The Extend Timer button was never intended as a mechanism to give yourself an advantage over others. As such, the Extend Timer button has been removed from the site in the short term, and the rules around extending your time will be changed appropriately to ensure that this underhanded tactic can no longer be used.

This banning should serve as a warning to everyone - breaching the terms of use, whether it be abusive language, threats, cheating, or any other action that is forbidden on this site, will result in a permanent ban regardless of whether a user is new, regular, veteran, or premium. I have built this site in my own time with my own money, put a lot of time and effort into it, and want it to be a safe and enjoyable community for all concerned. I will not tolerate abuse of the rules, especially those that serve only to self-aggrandise individuals or diminish/disparage others. This is a public community that welcomes all ages, genders, creeds and beliefs, and I will not have it tainted by a rotten few.

If you have any concerns about this decision, especially in regards to games that they have joined that they will now deadbeat, please private message me and I will organise some resolution.

Regards,
e_i_pi

Return to “Announcements”