Mobile development underway

News from the site administrators
e_i_pi

Mobile development underway

Postby e_i_pi » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:34 am

It's time to announce that development of a mobile app is underway. Here's the key points you may want to know:
  • It is being developed by user stevendash, who you may or may have not noticed is the second admin on the site (myself being the first)
  • We're using technology that will allow us to release to both iOS and Android devices, though we will likely release to iOS initially
  • It will integrate with the site, meaning you can play games via either your browser or the app - the same games will be available
  • It will be free to download, not sure whether there will be advertising at this stage
  • The plan is to release in various languages, including primarily Chinese and Spanish, though possibly also German, French and Russian
  • No release date is planned as yet, but stevendash will be working on it exclusively while I work on the site

If anyone has any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask here

stevendash

Re: Mobile development underway

Postby stevendash » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am very happy to be part of the Art of War community and my goal is to bring the excellent Art of War web experience to the iOS and Android platforms.

I have been hard at work the past couple of months and have implemented enough of the integration and data layers to be able to start work on the presentation layer.

What music, sound effects, animations, layouts and widgets will be the best fit for Art of War mobile?

I will post samples for feedback throughout the development process.

I welcome everyone's input and I will try my upmost to make the mobile applications the best they can be.

Cheers,
Steven

stevendash

Postby stevendash » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Update 1

Decided to focus on the android version. iOS version has been put on hold, it will be launched after the android version.

Hoping to start alpha testing by the middle of April. All the polish will be applied to the beta, the alpha is just barebones. Alpha testing will continue until all the features are implemented, stable and straightforward to use. Once e_i_pi feels the alpha is in a playable and stable state we will open it up to selected members of the Art of War community to test and to gather feedback.

All feedback will be discussed and used to determine what changes are required for the beta.

Going to ask my boss, if I can work four days a week for the next three to four months, which will enable me to focus on the alpha.

stevendash

Postby stevendash » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 am

Update 2

Published a couple of small incremental builds to the Google Play store to test different parts of the app framework on a tablet and a phone.

Currently working on the map renderer, session manager and storage manager.

Once the above components are finished, I will focus on implementing all the functionality required to complete a turn in an active game.

stevendash

Postby stevendash » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:45 pm

Update 3

Nothing major to report, development is going well.

Bringing large maps to small screens is tricky.

We will open the Android development version to selected members of the community for testing and feedback in November / December.

Android launch is 1st of July 2016.

iOS launch is 1st of January 2017.

Return to “Announcements”