Site redesign

News from the site administrators
e_i_pi

Site redesign

Postby e_i_pi » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:40 pm

azsart has delivered the site redesign finals to me, and I have to say they look fantastic. Don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I won't be showing screenshots until it's in, may take a month or two, but will be worth the wait as it will include improvements to the game screen.

From analytics I can see that about 1/3 of people who visit the site have the resolution 1366x768, which is the most popular resolution. This means that the game page viewport will be around 1180x490 for those users. To me that seems fine, especially since I'll be reworking the popups so that the content fits better. Basically, you lose about 180 width and 280 height from your screen resolution to this:
  • Top - 190px lost to the top border, site title and menus. I could make an option where you can minimise the site title (or it auto-minimises in games) so you reclaim an extra 120px or so, bringing the top down to 70px
  • Bottom - 90px lost to the bottom border, social media buttons, and the logs
  • Right / Left - 90px lost to each to side borders and a whole range of in-game buttons that bring up swish dialogs / popups to give you information about the game, etc.

Not sure how it's going to look on mobile. I could do a mobile render that streamlines the borders, but for now I'm concerned most with desktop users as they constitute about 87% of the users. i.e. - 1 in 6 users it might not look great for. It's hard to ascertain that statistic (1 in 6) accurately though as I can only get stats on operating system and browser, and things like iPad and high resolution phones it should still display in the browser okay-ish. So the amount of adversely affected users might be extremely low, and limited to people on older phones with poor resolution.

Get cracking with suggestions for info you want in the game page, but I think I'll have almost all of it covered anyhow, as the following is going in:
  • Slimline information panels up the top showing:
    - Map / Era / Scenario
    - Current Round Phase
  • Big square thingos in the corners showing:
    - Your income (bottom left)
    - Your movement points (bottom right)
  • Various buttons down the left, which brings up dialog boxes for the following:
    - Start / End / Extend turn button
    - General Game Info
    - Territories
    - Zones (with graphs showing ownership)
    - Income for all empires (hopefully with historic graphs, depends on whether I can retrofit them easily)
    - Troops for all empires (hopefully with historic graphs, depends on whether I can retrofit them easily)
    - Empires
    - Factions
    - Win Conditions (hopefully with graphs showing % complete for each faction)
  • Various technical info buttons on the right:
    - General Help button
    - Territory Type Info
    - Border Type Info
    - Operational Area Info
    - Troop Info
    - Battle Info
    - Asset Info
    - In Game Function Info (i.e. the rules to the game)
    - Refresh screen button
  • Slimline information panels down the bottom showing:
    - Global chat latest message on the left. It will highlight is there have been messages since you last opened up the panel. You open up the panel by clicking on it
    - Faction chat latest message on the right. Functions similarly to global chat
    - Game log in the middle. No latest message will be shown here, you just click on it to expand it

e_i_pi

Re: Site redesign

Postby e_i_pi » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:53 pm

An update here since it's what I'm working on right now. I've received the file from the artist, as evident from the last post, and today I did some final touches to the file. The images have been split out from the file, and it's ready to be stitched together as HTML/CSS, which I'll get onto over the next week or so. After that, I need to do some repair work on JS and CSS caching to ensure everyone gets their screen updated properly during incremental styling updates, and then I have to do slight reworks on all the pages to get them to fit the new design nicely. So, still a few weeks away from this going in, but it's been a big piece and once it's done, it's done, and I can get on with more fun stuff, like speeding up the game engine, and popping in some great new features on the game page :)

nixie

Postby nixie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:20 am

The 3 biggest issue with the mobile view in my view are;

*jQuery ui drag able on the game surface
    *Region icon size
    *Page width

The drag able means that once you have zoomed in too far your stuck and can't move around (as ui captures the attempt to scroll) whilst the icon size means that clicks are not always picked up. The page width means that everything is way way to small.

I know why your leaning on the sats for browser usage however one of the reasons your stats say what they do is because the game is virtually unplayable on a mobile device (even my tablet with a decent sized screen).

Apologies for the negative first post (from a relatively new user) however being mobile friendly would be a big plus point for your product (especially when you compare to at war which requires silverlight!). The game play apart from this is good fun and I've enjoyed my games so far.

If you want some early mobile feedback on the new style as you build it I'd be happy to help where I can (web developer for my sins).

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:39 am

nixie wrote:The 3 biggest issue with the mobile view in my view are;

*jQuery ui drag able on the game surface
    *Region icon size
    *Page width

The drag able means that once you have zoomed in too far your stuck and can't move around (as ui captures the attempt to scroll) whilst the icon size means that clicks are not always picked up. The page width means that everything is way way to small.

I've had exactly the same problem. It needs to be fixed I agree. In the short term the way you can zoom out is to click on a territory, bring up the territory info popup, and then you can pinch zoom out.

I know why your leaning on the sats for browser usage however one of the reasons your stats say what they do is because the game is virtually unplayable on a mobile device (even my tablet with a decent sized screen).

Yeah I've considered that, and understand that the usage stats for mobiles will be down as a result of poor mobile experience, but usage stats is not the only metric I track mobile vs desktop, there's also search stats and referral stats, which demonstrates a strong preference for desktop also.

Apologies for the negative first post (from a relatively new user) however being mobile friendly would be a big plus point for your product (especially when you compare to at war which requires silverlight!). The game play apart from this is good fun and I've enjoyed my games so far.

If you want some early mobile feedback on the new style as you build it I'd be happy to help where I can (web developer for my sins).

No that's fine, feedback is great, especially constructive feedback in the mobile space. Mobile is difficult to develop for since it's a reasonably new market and there's of inconsistency across devices and mobile browsers.

The new redesign is going to be vetted on my HTC ONE and an iPad before I launch it, and will hopefully address those issues you mentioned effectively. Unfortunately I've yet to find mobile emulators that fit the bill for testing, but between those two devices it should cover the important aspects of responsive design. I'll probably lock mobile devices into an 800px width, and have a closeable modal dialog warning the user that they aren't in landscape oreintation.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:36 pm

I've been working a fair bit on getting the site redesign in, but I want to make sure it's perfect before I launch it officially on the site. Nonetheless, you can view a preview of it here. I welcome all feedback, but keep in mind that several features are not currently working, and the inner screen layout is not yet properly aligned. The graphics of the page framing should be done though, enjoy :)

ianutd

Postby ianutd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:08 pm

very nice :)

edit: though at the moment after clicking on preview it affected the game #330 i am currently playing
Winning wars costs lives, Winning war games is more important

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:18 pm

It shouldn't adversely affect it though

Diogenas

Postby Diogenas » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:15 am

To put it short: terrible in a small screen (laptop).

Whitebalance

Postby Whitebalance » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:15 am

I have different taste. I would hold on to medieval brown... It's so red.

On small screen you have much more room in this old one.

Terrible on small laptop screen when inside game. The edges are so big.
Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
W. L. George

JrFan88

Postby JrFan88 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:54 am

LOVE IT!!!!!
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

Return to “Announcements”