Art of War has relaunched!

News from the site administrators
e_i_pi

Art of War has relaunched!

Postby e_i_pi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Art of War has officially relaunched!

There are many changes with the new version, so let's have a look at some things to enjoy and some things to look forward to...

Server
The new server architecture is a vast improvement over the old server. We are using a new database system which is much better than the old system, the server has solid state drives, various caching improvements have been made, and overall the server is just plain faster. The server is also scalable, meaning that as the site grows, the server can be improved on the fly to cater for the increase in traffic and popularity.

Game Interface
The game interface has been much improved, and now uses a simple point-and-click interface. Using a tablet? No worries, touchscreen devices are supported! You should find the new interface intuitive and easy to use, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask in the forums, the administrators will be more than happy to help.

Game Engine
The game engine is much smarter, and now utilises a dynamic workflow system to determine exactly what should happen when. Say goodbye to hard-coded commands, games are now completely dynamic. Want to be able to transfer currency to an ally in a game? Just enable that selection when you create the game! Don't like to play the same win condition over and over? Choose a win condition that is to your liking, or even allow the win condition to be randomly determined before the game starts! There are a host of new features, join a game and have fun with it!

Projects
The big, big BIG improvement to the site is Projects. A complete interface has been set up for users to create every part of a game for themselves, and publish them on the site to play against friends and people from around the world. The Project types include Backgrounds, Dice, Empires, Eras, Icons, Maps, Numeral Sets, Scenarios and Troops. The whole project interface is simple and easy to use. If you're passionate about gaming, and have always dreamed of creating your own game, why not do it here? You can create the entire game with all it's components from scratch - or you can use existing components that other users have created and published! If you would like to take part in Projects, post a request in the relevant Project forum and the administrators will run you through the process.
Did I mention we have many new Maps? Many many new Maps. We also have new Eras, and will be releasing a lot of new Scenarios. Watch the create game screen and the forums, as we will be releasing new Scenarios as often as we possibly can, with fresh rules, play techniques and win conditions.
Want to leave feedback on a Project? Leave feedback in the Project for that item (Menu > Projects > Browse), or post in the forums, whichever suits you! Found a problem with a game (missing borders, strange territory types, etc.)? Post in the forums, we'll sort the issue out, deploy a fresh version on the affected Project, and the problem will be solved - permanently!

Framework
The entire site has been written on the Circle314 framework, a custom framework designed specifically for the new version of Art of War. Utilising the latest technologies, such as HTML5, CSS3 and jQuery, it delivers a fantastic experience when navigating the site. The framework is fast, lightweight, in-house, customisable and ready to handle any workload we can throw at it. You should notice quick and efficient responses when performing any action on the website. If anything seems laggy or a little slow, report it in the forums - it will be investigated and fixed up as a matter of priority!

Graphics
The graphics for the site have been improved across the board. From the forums to the game page, everything has undergone a revamp, with the user experience being kept in mind at all times. From smooth dragging to slick menus to custom popups, the entire site has been given a spring clean and brought up to the standard that the modern game player expects.

So jump in, play some games and (most of all) have fun!

willco66

Re: Art of War has relaunched!

Postby willco66 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Excellent

redsharkk

Postby redsharkk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:35 pm

The New era is here! :D :D

drunkmunky

Postby drunkmunky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 am

Where's the "HELP" section? I have no idea what any of these buttons do...or how do spent income or anything...

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 am

I'll work on getting a help section in over the next couple of days.

In the meantime...

pachyderm

Postby pachyderm » Tue May 27, 2014 11:50 am

Howdy. I have tried to send a PM to Mr Pi, twice now, but have not recieved an answer. I just joined and signed up for game #144. When it is my turn I get no pop ups as desribed in one of the forums. I have no way to make a move. Although, even if I did, I have no idea at this time how to use the cash or points. A little help would be appreciated. Thanks.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Tue May 27, 2014 7:05 pm

You should be able to send me private messages. Make sure you get my username right - "e_i_pi" (without the quotes of course).

I've added 21 hours onto that game's round phase, and it's your turn right now! Click on the games link on the orange banner on the left. The window should default to the "my turns" selection, where game #144 will be displayed. Click in the game row, and it will jump to the game. There should be a popup saying it's your turn, with a button saying "start turn". Click that, then you're ready to go. If the popup isn't there, click on the menu item (up the top) game #144 > start turn. Once you have started your turn, the map is a point-and-click interface. Click on one of your territories, and a bunch of options will become available in the "territory menu spinner". The options are described here. Any option you click will then come up with a popup describing the function and further options you have. Try them all out - clicking on the spinner icons just brings up a popup, it doesn't commit an action. Commiting an action (such as deploy troops, or attack territory) is done by clicking "accept" in the resultant popup.

Any other questions of problems, just post in the forums, and I'll answer as quick as possible. If you're still struggling, I'll extend the turn again to give you a chance :)

juaru5

Postby juaru5 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:45 am

Looks nice. Looking forward to the new maps.

boi21

Postby boi21 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 pm

wow i just started only problem is the instructions in the medieval period i have no idea how to attack adjacent territories and to get off an island you need to buy off of it i am curious how igo from land to island or island to land also this game is very interesting i enjoy playing the two days i have played so far. you guys did a good job with a solid foundation of an idea. just need help so i can continue to enjoy this game.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Yeah, I should make tutorials, but I don't really have time to work on the site much any more. Here's some pointers to get you started:
  • You need 1 navy to go from land to sea, or from coast to coast. If the destination has is an enemy and has navy, you need to defeat that navy before you can launch land attacks
  • If the destination territory has just cavalry, you will need at least 2 cavalry to start an attack. This is because you need to try to chase down and surround the enemy cavalry
  • If the destination territory has a fort, you will need at least 1 siege engine. In some cases (many forts, or opponent has cavalry too) you will also need cavalry to direct the siege
  • Special cases exist for forts on coastal territories - when there are 3+ forts, you can attack the port instead. You will generally need navy and siege to do this, and if the opponent has navy, they can help defend the beachhead.
  • If you capture a territory that has navy, siege engines, or forts, you automatically capture those units
  • If you sink a navy at sea, and that navy has infantry, cavalry, or siege engines on board, they sink with the ship

Return to “Announcements”