Shutting down the site

News from the site administrators
e_i_pi

Shutting down the site

Postby e_i_pi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am

Hi all,

It is with great sadness that I'll be shutting down the website in the near future. There are a combination of reasons for this, including financial, technical, and personal. There have been a number of serious issues lately, including expiry of the SSL certificate, locked games, and an emptying out of players. The amount of time, money, and effort needed to remedy this is insurmountable, and flies in the face of the fact that browser games just aren't a thing any more.

I really do appreciate everyone's loyalty to the site and the fact that you all enjoyed playing here. For me, I managed to get an IT career out of it given all the technical skills I honed over the years, and am now in a job I enjoy very much. I've learnt a lot of lessons from building and managing the site, many I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

In terms of alternate similar games out there, I was never impressed by any of the other browser-based strategy board game sites, hence building this site. I would suggest that people who enjoy this site check out the following on Steam:
  • Crusader Kings 3 - Soon to come out, it's already in development stages, but I don't think it's been released yet. I downloaded Crusader Kings 2 and almost all the DLC, it's a fantastic game that really stands head and shoulder above what I was trying to do here. It's absolutely amazing.
  • Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlod - It's in early access at the moment, still quite buggy, but very fun to play. It's set in a fantasy world very similar to medieval Europe, with enough tropes to get you going in the culture of your choice. Very in depth gameplay where you can be a mercenary, trader, king, or bandit, amongst any other character idea you have.
  • Endless Legend - 4X game very similar to the Civilisation series, but set in a fantasy world with various different races that have special abilities / troops. Quite enjoyable, for me it got a bit same same after a while, but still worth a look.

In response to the various requests so far, no I won't be selling the site, and my mind won't be changed about that. There is nothing simple about "selling" a website. I have private information stored all over the place, it's not an easily transferable entity, there is very little documentation about how it all hangs together, and it simply isn't worth the money. Ongoing costs are around $500/year and that's trimmed down to bare bones. I have spent over $10000 in the lifetime of this project, and only seen around $100-200 income from it. That's over a period of around 12-13 years. It's just not worth it as a business.

Again, thank you everyone for playing here, I am deeply honoured by the fact that people enjoyed the game, and that it received various positive reviews including a section in a published softcover on online gaming. It's been really great to have had this experience, but it's time to call it a day. I wish everyone the very best. If you want to find me post-AoW, my username on Steam is circle314 and I'm happy to have a chat or play games any time I'm free.

Cheers and happy gaming,
e_i_pi

Shadokin

Re: Shutting down the site

Postby Shadokin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Sorry to hear that, but fully understand. Appreciate your keeping things running for as long as you have.

I enjoyed your game. It was a clean, simple system, didn't require too much time, yet still involved a good bit of strategy.

Good luck to you with whatever comes next. and if you ever decide to reopen, or start up another version, well you've got my e-mail, let me know. In the meantime, I guess I'll take a look at some of those Steam options you mentioned.

For now, I'll be around until you turn off the lights.

Take care.

Tom

inkypt

Postby inkypt » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks a lot. The game and maps were excellent.

All the best for you and your family

Inky

nixie

Postby nixie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Sorry to here the end in is nigh. I for one thought this was one of the best strategy games I'd ever played. Its a real shame it never made the transition to an app as I think it would have done well. All the best for the future and thanks for all your efforts to this point.

Aaron

Whitebalance

Postby Whitebalance » Sun May 31, 2020 8:07 pm

I haven't been around lately. But ArtOfWar still pops up in my mind. Really amazing game, but somehow at some point I did not made it to the site anymore.

The time when I was full active user it was really amazing and I really appreciate the effort and the passion that you put in to do something so big and great. I am glad that this passion gave you career and good portion of self-realization. Although I would also see that it would be great app then I understand that everything ends at some point.

Keep the passion up with future projects and share the LOVE!

All the best,
Laur
Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
W. L. George

TopazMarauder

Postby TopazMarauder » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:52 pm

Been a while since I played.
Going to be sad to see it go though.
Do you have an easy to write down version of medieval rule set and actions?

Return to “Announcements”