Speed Games

A place to discuss anything related to Art of War
e_i_pi

Speed Games

Postby e_i_pi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:08 pm

So I'm getting Speed Games in with the next release, which should be out over the weekend. This will be an option available for premium and VIP players only, as part of the incentive to sign up for a premium account. I have a few questions for players...

What sort of turn lengths would you like to see?
I'm thinking 5 minute turn length should be the only amount required, though I can add turn lengths in of any type.

Should these games be cancelled after a certain amount of recruitment time?
My inclination is yes. So, if you create a 5 minute turn length game, it is cancelled after an hour if the game hasn't filled. Does this too short, or the right length? Alternately, should they just revert to 24 hour games?

Converting to 24 hour game
If a player isn't able to continue playing the 5 minute game (because it going too long) should they be able to convert it into a 24 hour game? I would think so, otherwise it might be a bitter experience if you had to leave and therefore lose with no recourse. I would also think that any player is allowed to convert it to a 24 hour game at any time.

New 5 minute button in the Game Browser, or different colour?
Should there be another button in the Game Browser that displays just 5 minute games? Should 5 minute games show up in the regular search, but with a different colour, say burnished gold? I think both options would be good.

Any other suggestions or feedback?
Do you have any other suggestions or feedback about speed games?

Whitebalance

Re: Speed Games

Postby Whitebalance » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 pm

Leave the possibility to play some amount games by free. Don't take away the possibility to get people in. Those who want to pay or support will do it. After some time there should be voting if players would like to support the site or see advertisements.

1) The 5 min should be ok. But then you should see what the other player is doing without pushing refresh every 15 seconds.
2) The games should have recruitment time. Game creator chooses when the game begins. Till then the game is in standby mode and everybody can join. If nobody joins then the game is canceled. I think no one wants 24h new game if they made it first place a 5 minute game. Also nobody would like to play a 3vs3 game 1vs1. I would like it to be canceled then.
3) One player should not decide when he thinks that the game is too long and he wants to go sleeping, so stopping it. Somehow it should be asked from all of the players. Also how would they find new time that fits to all members that played at that night? Maybe we should begin with the idea that who leaves will be kicked or his lands will be given to fellow fraction player. The other thing would be that everybody choose it to be changed into 24h game.
4) Change the color and put them Top/Bottom so they would be together.
Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
W. L. George

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 am

Whitebalance wrote:Leave the possibility to play some amount games by free. Don't take away the possibility to get people in. Those who want to pay or support will do it. After some time there should be voting if players would like to support the site or see advertisements.

Art of War will always be free to play, it's just speed games we're talking about here.

1) The 5 min should be ok. But then you should see what the other player is doing without pushing refresh every 15 seconds.

I don't have the time to manage updates via sockets at the moment, but I will be putting in a function where the screen automatically updates every 15 seconds. Once I get the game data object generation time down, I can tighten that to 10 or maybe 5 seconds.
2) The games should have recruitment time. Game creator chooses when the game begins. Till then the game is in standby mode and everybody can join. If nobody joins then the game is canceled. I think no one wants 24h new game if they made it first place a 5 minute game. Also nobody would like to play a 3vs3 game 1vs1. I would like it to be canceled then.

Interesting idea having a time when the game begins, I'd like to hear feedback from others on this concept. The 3v3 / 1v1 idea will be mitigated as I'll be putting in a function where you can turn off scaling during game creation. I might even have that default to off for speed games.
3) One player should not decide when he thinks that the game is too long and he wants to go sleeping, so stopping it. Somehow it should be asked from all of the players. Also how would they find new time that fits to all members that played at that night? Maybe we should begin with the idea that who leaves will be kicked or his lands will be given to fellow fraction player. The other thing would be that everybody choose it to be changed into 24h game.

That's the easiest option for me to implement, as it's basically the functionality we have right now. Maybe if I put in a surrender option that would help, so you can elect to just give all your lands to your teammate if you're on a team, or to neutral if it's a singles games.
4) Change the color and put them Top/Bottom so they would be together.

Yep, sounds like the way to go. I might pop them up the top for now. Eventually there will be more robust search options for games, but right now with the limited number of recruiting and active games, I think just having the basic search options is enough.

kavastroyer

Postby kavastroyer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:18 pm

5 minutes barely gives you time to take a leak... probably ought be 10 minutes max, that allows time for being distracted (it happens)... under the spell of "choose your own way" = more options are usually preferred

ultrasplot

Postby ultrasplot » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:37 pm

The issue here is that it often takes me 15 minutes to take my turn. I don't know if this is due to my internet but at the moment 5 min turns does not seem feasible to me.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:45 pm

kavastroyer wrote:5 minutes barely gives you time to take a leak... probably ought be 10 minutes max, that allows time for being distracted (it happens)... under the spell of "choose your own way" = more options are usually preferred

Yep it's definitely possible to have multiple turn lengths in, 10 minutes seems a reasonable additional option.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:49 pm

ultrasplot wrote:The issue here is that it often takes me 15 minutes to take my turn. I don't know if this is due to my internet but at the moment 5 min turns does not seem feasible to me.

You're playing from the USA, unless you're in some backwater hamlet, I doubt it's your internet connection. It's more likely to be down to the GameData object taking ~1-2s to load up, Fog of War also slows things down, might just be the Medieval Map, since it regenerates ~10000 pieces of information each time you make a move.

In any case, this is a pretty strong argument for holding off on Speed Games until those issues at least are resolved. It will also take a fair bit of development time to get it in, and I'd like to get Premium membership in ASAP. I just wanted some extra incentives in there for Premium. Perhaps I'll put in the ability to create non-scaling games, a flashy username styling, and that combined with unlimited games might be enough for now. Thoughts?

PS: To start with premium will be cheap, $5 for 3 months, $8 for 6 months, $12 for 12 months.

Whitebalance

Postby Whitebalance » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:49 am

Probably you will not take leak at the start of your turn. (Offtopic sentence alert:) Playing in real time together my friends we thou have discussions whether someone wants to attack other or it is bad idea - diplomacy on the time when the turn take place. Still you will do your turn and go leak, which should give you at least in 3 player game a 20 minutes.

Also everything depends on the game, how much do you have movementpoints aso.

Flashy additions is not for me so important to get them in. Username aso.

-----------------

Prices for site. They always look cheap but somehow the psychology of humans tend to reject the idea of paying. This should be hidden from the first page and laid to somewhere where it's possible to find it. Premium thou shouldn't be compulsory or make somebody stronger in games. The idea of restricting game number is good choice.

When I go to google play with my HTC I get rejection feeling in 0.2 secs after seeing that a searched program costs me 2 dollars. 2 dollars is so small money but I still don't like to pay it by phone aso. I look up some free application.
Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
W. L. George

ianutd

Postby ianutd » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:58 am

speed games is a good idea and it would also be good if you could invite people who are online at any given time and have some type of waiting room where you can see who is online and create a game in the same place and maybe chat facility. Turn time could be scalable and discussed with other players before starting a game. also games involving a lot of players could be started quicker judging by who is online at the time. Competitions could be given a certain time and/or date and entrants on the day are given randomized starting positions etc etc lol but overall speed games is good and i don't mind paying to play them.
Winning wars costs lives, Winning war games is more important

redsharkk

Postby redsharkk » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 pm

I agree that the time should be 10 minutes as opposed to 5. I think speed games would be an interesting update to the website

Return to “General Discussion”