Medieval Europe - Favorite Empire

A place to discuss anything related to Art of War
ultrasplot

Medieval Europe - Favorite Empire

Postby ultrasplot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Which empire do you like to start with? As of now I mostly just look to see where I can stay far away from everyone else for awhile, but are there any favorites around here?

redsharkk

Re: Medieval Europe - Favorite Empire

Postby redsharkk » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I always pick the Byzantine Empire myself. Love the central location

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Poland or Hungary because they have lots of impassable borders around them, so it makes it easy to defend your heartland

Whitebalance

Postby Whitebalance » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:04 am

2,3 spot places that is possible to take with one turn and advance fast.

Have thought about using sea with the 50 gold bonus but couldn't had a chance to do that.
Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
W. L. George

Trashcan

Postby Trashcan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:34 am

HRE and Byzantine for 250 staring income. Any capital on the South part of the map for 50 per territory... But it almost seems too easy. Way up north as the Sami people is pretty easy to start with in both rules. Easy to pick a direction especially when few people pick north east to start or even to attack.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:11 am

Yeah I have a feeling that starting down south is too easy. I've seen a lot of games where Moors / Islam have the better run. I was going to leave it a little while until we've had a few games on the map, then see how many wins each faction gets before I make any adjustments.

Trashcan

Postby Trashcan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:46 pm

That is precisely why I started a few games in what seems to be less favored locations(HRE namely). It seems easier to get more territory in the south but easier to get more income up north. Just depends on play style mostly and a little bit of luck lol. AND of course if you are in 50/territory or 250 start lol

I am actually starting to think that WAY up north in Sapmi might be an easy-ish win too(easy to get territory fast).

ultrasplot

Postby ultrasplot » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 am

Seems to me that HRE is a prime place to start if you are going to be facing a Vikings faction since from what I've seen and theorized HRE should beat Vikings easily in most situations, due to more income and support from the south.

CatLord

Postby CatLord » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:11 am

I don't have a favorite yet- I think I've chosen a different start nearly every time. I liked the south, but that'd be more fun with a team. I'm Sami in one game right now, and I think it's comparable to starting in the south, but goes more slowly. I've also started as a Celt, but e_i_pi and I slaughtered the board, so I think we got lucky :) Or that it's better to start there when there are fewer players on the board.

Others have difficulty getting trapped as a celt when there are a lot of players on the board. Never started as HRE (probably because Kenny is always there or in Denmark :lol: )

Hmmmm. Burgandy is interesting, the right side was pretty fun as a team. I've yet to start in France, Italy, Spain, or Byzantine, and a few others like Svealand, Norway, etc, but I've got time for that :D

:idea: Oh, and for the 50 per territory games it's great starting near water since a water place is one of the cheapest places to take/buy so you can get money fast (probably a reason why the south is nice, or the celts)
The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.-Anon.

ultrasplot

Postby ultrasplot » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:24 am

In a 250(+50) it seems to me like Alba is one of the best if not THE best to start. You start with two ships, after taking Highlands with ONLY Infantry you capture two more. You should have enough gold left to deploy two more ships. Thusly, you have six ships which can take 3-4 water territs, jumpstarting you as long as there isn't a Finnmark or Norge to disrupt you.

Return to “General Discussion”