VOTING: April 2014 enhancements

A place for old voting records

What features would you like to see in Art of War?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 pm

Last player must wait
14%
Port Icons in South America made clicky
5%
Reallocate Game Model methods
3%
End turn when navigate away
3%
Fog of War
5%
Cards
5%
Add city and religious centre icons to Medieval Europe
14%
Game Refresh refreshes state
No votes
Aegean Map Icons and Empires
5%
Mission Scenario - World
No votes
Mission Scenario - World Tribes
No votes
Mission Scenario - USA
3%
Mission Scenario - South America
No votes
Medieval Europe First Crusade scenario
5%
Scenario Projects, apply Troops to all
5%
Framework registry enhancements
No votes
Aegean Sea map, add city icons
5%
Taking your turn - 1 hour limit
11%
Jump to My Next Turn popup
5%
Client bug logging
11%

Total votes: 37

e_i_pi

VOTING: April 2014 enhancements

Postby e_i_pi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:05 pm

VOTE FOR NEW FEATURES TO GO IN DURING APRIL 2014!

I have started a new job, am moving house, and have little time on my hands at the moment (about 8-10 hours for coding per week). Because of this, I'll be doing code rollouts monthly. Sometimes there may be partial rollouts during the month, but I'm aiming for a monthly schedule. As such, I'd like to open up voting on enhancements you would like to see on the site. I'm adding a poll of the enhancements that are on my list of things to do, and whichever enhancements get the most votes will be worked on first. You can vote for as many enhancements as you like, but only those with the most votes will be worked on first. Work on these enhancements will start in April. In the last week of April, a new list will be posted for May, which will include anything on this list that hasn't been finished, and any bugs/suggestions posted in the forums.

Here's the explanation of each enhancement:

Last player must wait
Currently when a 6+ singles game or 2+ teams game is down to 2 players, it is possible that they both play in the same round phase. Therefore, it is possible for each of those players to take two turns immediately before the other player gets a go. This enhancement would prevent a player from starting their turn until an hour has passed since their last turn.

Port Icons in South America made clicky
In the South America map there are port icons that visually show port cities that link to each other. This enhancement would make those icons clicky so that the user wouldn't need to drag the map around to click on the other port when it's not on screen, they could just click the port icon instead.

Reallocate Game Model methods
This is an internal code maintenance enhancement, no benefits would be seen by players, but it would help me to maintain and enhance game related code in the future.

End turn when navigate away
It is possible to start your turn in game, then navigate away from the game screen without ending your turn. This enhancement would prevent navigation away by displaying a popup asking if you are sure you want to navigate away before ending your turn, or if you'd like to end your turn and still navigate away.

Fog of War
This enhancement would involve implementing Fog of War in its entirety in Games. It is likely that implementing this enhancement will take a very long time, several weeks to a month. The Fog of War option would then be made available when creating new games.

Cards
This enhancement would involve implementing cards in their entirety in Games. Currently, some of the cards code is written, with respect to scenarios and creating games, but I would need to write code that allocates cards to players when they capture a territory for instance, as well as a user interface to show your current cards, and an interface and server side code to cash in cards, and capture cards. It is likely that this enhancement will take more than a month to implement.

Add city and religious centre icons to Medieval Europe
Currently the Medieval Europe map scenario has the win condition of capturing 15 minor cities and 3 religious centres. It's not easy to figure out which territories are cities and which are religious sites. This enhancement would involve an update to the map image, which when implemented, would be in all Medieval Europe games immediately.

Game Refresh refreshes state
Very low priority issue, but needs to be dealt with before I can consider adding 5 minute games.

Aegean Map Icons and Empires
There is an Aegean Sea map that is waiting to have Icons and Empires made for it. These need to be done before I can make a Scenario for it, so it can be playable as games. I've done some groundwork, but a fair amount more needs doing. This enhancement is likely to take 2-3 weeks.

Mission Scenario - World
I'd like to add a new Scenario for thw World Map, where factions each get their own win condition, randomaly chosen from a list of about 20. These would be things like "Hold North and South America for 3 turns", or "Hold Africa and Europe for 2 turns, and hold either Australia or South America for 1 turn".

Mission Scenario - World Tribes
As above, but for the World Tribes map

Mission Scenario - USA
As above, but for the USA map

Mission Scenario - South America
As above, but for the South America Map

Medieval Europe First Crusade scenario
I'd like to create a Scenario for the Medieval Europe map that captures the state of europe just prior to the First Crusade. The map would essentially be Christians vs Islam, with the goal being to capture the holy cities, but there will be side missions for smaller factions, such as the Vikings. This is likely to take several weeks to a month of planning and implementation, and may involve some code enhancements as well to cater for the changes. Any required enhancements will make future Scenario building easier.

Scenario Projects, apply Troops to all
An enhancement to Scenario Projects, this will allow the project user to deploy a particular amount of troops to every territory of a certain type (e.g. - all territories in a certain zone, all land territories, etc.). This enhancement will make work on new Scenarios take much less time, as placing troops is currently the most time-consuming part of the process.

Framework registry enhancements
Internal code enhancement. End users won't see any benefits, but it is something I need to do eventually, and will assist me in finding and fixing bugs that occur on the site.

Aegean Sea map, add city icons
Adding city icons to the Aegean Sea map will make the map visually more interesting, and also allow easy implementation of custom scenarios on that map that utilise rules such as "Capture Sparta and Athens and hold for 3 turns"

Taking your turn - 1 hour limit
This enhancement will automatically end your turn 1 hour after you started it. This will speed up games a little where players have forgotten to end their turn.

Jump to My Next Turn popup
When you end your turn in a game, it would be nice if there was a popup that asked if you'd like to jump to your next game that needs a turn taken.

Client bug logging
I was subscribed to a client bug logging program that had a 1 month trial. The program would be easy for me to write, and would help me track down bugs that occur client side (e.g. you click an a territory and nothing happens, or the loading spinner stays there forever). This needs to be done sooner rather than later, and will lead to a better game experience for all users.

e_i_pi

Re: VOTING: April enhancements

Postby e_i_pi » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:23 pm

The items for April are as follows:
  1. Add city and religious centre icons to Medieval Europe (Done! 20140330 release)
  2. Last player must wait (Done! 20140413 release)
  3. Taking your turn - 1 hour limit (Done! 20140419 release)
  4. Client bug logging (Done! 20140419 release)
  5. Port Icons in South America made clicky (Done! 20140421 release)
  6. Aegean Sea map, add city icons (Done! 20140421 release)
...followed by these, in whatever order I get to them...
  • Fog of War
  • Cards
  • Aegean Map Icons and Empires
  • Medieval Europe First Crusade scenario
  • Scenario Projects, apply Troops to all
  • Jump to My Next Turn popup
I can't foresee getting through that list, so any I don't get to there, as well as the lower voted ones, will get put on the May voting list in two weeks time.

e_i_pi

Re: VOTING: April 2014 enhancements

Postby e_i_pi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:38 am

All of the planned enhancements for April 2014 are now in. Since Medieval Europe First Crusade scenario ranks next highest in April, and is second highest in May, I'll start work on that. Hopefully by the time the May voting is over, we'll have a new Scenario for everyone to play :D

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Thu May 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Moving to Voting Archives

pokyha

Postby pokyha » Thu May 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Nice work. Your making the game better and better.

Return to “Voting Archives”