Victory Point Distribution in Team Games

Have a suggestion to improve the site? Post it here!
Shadokin

Victory Point Distribution in Team Games

Postby Shadokin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:59 am

In team games, would it be possible to eliminate inactive accounts (players eliminated for missing two consecutive turns) from gaining victory points if their team eventually wins; just distribute the points gained among the accounts that actually participated in the game?

It's kind of frustrating, to be teamed with an 800 point account, have him miss the first two turns & be eliminated, go on to win the game, and then see that inactive account be awarded the majority of the victory points.

Thanks.

nixie

Re: Victory Point Distribution in Team Games

Postby nixie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Second that request. In fact should they be totally ignored, so any inactive player on a losing team would not be counted towards the points available for distribution to the victors.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:52 am

I'm happy to put this in, but I'd prefer it scaled somewhat, otherwise players will deadbeat to avoid losing points. Total deadbeats should not count at all, but if someone deadbeats in the last 4 rounds of a 20 round game, that should have less impact I think.

Backdating this is going to be the most difficult part, as we currently store how many missed turns someone has in total, and how many consecutive. We don't store how many turns they could have taken, which would be required to form up a "% turns taken" stat. I could put this in just going forward easily enough - that's probably the best path to take, since I'm going to change scoring at some stage, and remove the ELO system altogether.

Shadokin

Postby Shadokin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:30 pm

Right. My point is I don't want to see inactive accounts that don't participate in the game benefiting.

But if they're on the losing side, then they should lose points. There shouldn't be any possibility of gaining a benefit by going deadbeat.

Implementing it going forward sounds good. Thanks Eipe.

Shadokin

Postby Shadokin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 am

Deadbeat accounts still getting VP in team games if their partner wins on his own; is the plan still to fix this?

Thanks.

e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:40 am

At the moment I'm contemplating the future of Art of War. That doesn't mean to say I'll stop the site, I'm definitely keeping it going, but the overhead of maintaining the code base and some fundamental issues with the way the code is designed makes it difficult to progress properly. Migrating it to a mobile app was mt primary goal, but that's very difficult given the way I've set everything up. You have to understand that AoW was the first application I ever built - I have a ton more skills now, and there are flaws in the design of AoW that I can't simply code around.

I've had a long break from coding from games, concentrating instead on my career to ensure my family is well taken care of. We're much more stable financially and emotionally now, and I'm thinking about what the next step should be. I'd like to leverage the good work in Medieval Europe as that is easily the most popular and most rich game here. I think it has real potential, and there are a lot of great features that could go in with the right planning. I'm going to start discussions with a couple of friends about turning Medieval Europe into a fully fledged game, what that would involve, and whether we think we can do it.

As for the points issue, I don't know, I want to get some code done here but I don't want to pour heaps of time into something that may well be superseded. I think the priority right now is to fix the siege problem in Medieval Era and go from there.

Shadokin

Postby Shadokin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi Eipe. Glad to hear you overall business efforts are going well.

I agree, this is a good game; much better than most of the "Risk" type games on line; I hope it does have a future.

Please post, and let us know what you see for the future.

Thanks.

shado

Return to “Suggestions”